|Pillars of Nosgoth: magical principle|
The Nature symbol as it appears in Legacy of Kain: Defiance.
|Introduced in||Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (1996)|
|Appearances||• • • • • •|
|Related articles||• Conflict (sister principle)|
• Fire (elemental predecessor)
• Light (overarching element)
• Nature Guardian
• Pillar of Nature
• Pillars of Nosgoth
Nature was a sphere of metaphysical law within Nosgoth, and one of the nine magical principles harnessed and governed by the Pillars of Nosgoth. Alongside its sister principle, Conflict, it was associated with the elemental force of Fire, which, in turn, was aligned with the overarching principle of Light.
The principle of Nature concerned the growth and perpetuation of organic entities in Nosgoth. The Nature Guardians, culled by the Pillars, could commune with, influence, and summon natural phenomena, and were charged with governing over plants, animals, and all forms of natural life.
Role[edit | edit source]
As a magical and metaphysical fundament, Nature was effectively made manifest everywhere in Nosgoth, but was most prominently and saliently represented by the Pillar of Nature, which was raised before Nosgoth's recorded history.[BO1-C9][SR2] The Pillar, like its eight counterparts, was intrinsically linked to the health of Nosgoth, and was protected by the Nature Guardian, who served as a personification of the principle. At least three Nature Guardians were known to exist: the original Guardian, a martyred Guardian, and Bane the Druid.[SR2][BO1][DEF]
The ancient vampires recognized Nature as being linked to the principle of Conflict by its association with the elemental force of Fire.[DEF-C6] Fire itself was aligned with the elemental force of Light.[SR2] When Raziel encountered the specters of the original Nature and Conflict Guardians in the Vampire Citadel, he harnessed and absorbed their soul essence to obtain the Fire Reaver.[DEF-C6]
Items representing Nature included the Pillar token, Bane's Antler Headdress. Abilities representing Nature included the power to transform terrain into water, and the attacks known as Fury of Terra and Nature's Grip.[BO1-C7] The Dark Eden represented a perversion of the principles of Energy, Nature, and States.[BO1-C7]
Background[edit | edit source]
Like all of its peers, the representation of Nature on the Pillar of Nature changed between its Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain debut and Soul Reaver 2.[SR2][BO1][SR1] In its original form, Nature was symbolized in the form of a leafy, mossy green texture adorning the band near the base of the Pillar.[BO1] In Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, the same Pillar simply featured a dark, gray texture.[SR1] Soul Reaver 2, and all Legacy of Kain games since, have consistently used a distinct, abstract symbol to represent Nature, both on the Pillar band and elsewhere.[SR2][DEF][BO2] One instance of what may be an alternative symbol appears in a mural in Soul Reaver 2's Light Forge.[SR2]
Soul Reaver 2 was planned to feature a glyph spell associated with Nature for Raziel to wield, and Legacy of Kain: Defiance was intended to include a Nature enhancement and fragment for Kain's Balance Emblem. However, both were cut from the respective titles.
The mythological relationship between the Pillars' nine magical principles and the classical elements was first suggested by a diagram seen on the main platform in the Subterranean Pillars Chamber of Soul Reaver 2, and was confirmed in Legacy of Kain: Defiance.[SR2][DEF] The Complete Guide To Legacy of Kain, Prima's Official Strategy Guide - Legacy of Kain: Defiance, and series art director Daniel Cabuco, clarified the definition of Nature, and the roles and responsibilities of its Pillar Guardians.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
- Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver comic
- Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
- Soul Reaver 2
- Blood Omen 2
- Legacy of Kain: Defiance comic
- Legacy of Kain: Defiance
See also[edit | edit source]
- Bane's Antler Headdress
- Fire Reaver (Defiance)
- Light (element)
- Nature fragment
- Nature Glyph
- Nature Guardian
- Nature Guardian (martyr)
- Nature Guardian (original)
- Pillar of Nature
- Pillars of Nosgoth
- Soul Reaver 2: Pillars' Platform Diagram at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn and Corpse87).
- Defiance: Raziel's Reavers at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn).
- Legacy of Kain: All Pillar Guardians at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn).
- Legacy of Kain: All Pillar Symbols at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn).
- The Pillar Glyphs at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln).
- Deleted Pillar Reaver Upgrades at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln).
References[edit | edit source]
- Soul Reaver 2: Background Story at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn)
- Legacy of Kain: All Pillar Guardians at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn)
- Soul Reaver 2: Pillars' Platform Diagram at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn)
- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain miscellaneous dialogue. Silicon Knights. Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. (Crystal Dynamics). PlayStation. (November 1, 1996)
- Prima Games / JDP and Gerald Guess. Prima's Official Legacy of Kain: Defiance Guide. (2003)
- Legacy of Kain: All Pillar Symbols at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn)
- Soul Reaver 2: Director's Interview - PlayStation 2 Feature at IGN (by Douglass Perry), page 6
- The Pillar Glyphs at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- Deleted Pillar Reaver Upgrades at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- The Players at SK: The Complete Guide To Legacy of Kain (archived at Dark Chronicle)
- So many questions at DCabDesign (by Luke27), post #11 (by Daniel Cabuco)