|The soul altar|
|Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver term|
The soul altar as it appears in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.
|Introduced in||Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (1999)|
- "You are weak – you must feed."
- ―The Elder God[src]
The soul altar was a feature in the Underworld, appearing in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. It was depicted as a circular altar, surrounded by runic pillars, with soul energy rising from its central "spout". The altar was apparently controlled by the Elder God, and would constantly dispense souls for Raziel to devour.
Role[edit | edit source]
Immediately after the vampire Raziel's resurrection as a wraith in the Underworld, the Elder God instructed his new servant on the basics of life as a denizen of the Spectral Realm. After Raziel was educated on the use of warp gates, he began to falter from weakness. The Elder insisted that Raziel "must feed", but Raziel refuted the idea; "the old hunger" for blood had left him.[SR1-C1]
The Elder God corrected him, explaining that he had become a devourer of souls, sustained by lost spirits. As if in answer, a soul issued forth from the "spout" of the altar in the chamber Raziel had walked into. The altar dispensed souls indefinitely, and Raziel could always use it to slake his thirst in the future.[SR1-C1][SR1] He needed to consume at least five souls, filling his health coil, before the Elder God would dispel the force field blocking his path onward.[SR1-C1]
Background[edit | edit source]
In an interview preceding the release of Soul Reaver 2, Legacy of Kain series director Amy Hennig stated that there is a connection between the Underworld, the Abyss/Lake of the Dead and the Lost City which appeared in Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, but did not explain what it was. In 2012, series artist and Legacy of Kain: Defiance art director Daniel Cabuco revealed what he knew concerning the link:
- "As far as I can tell you, The Elder God was known for 'Pulling things down'. So the Lost City was pulled into the Abyss by the Elder God, as were many areas. (like the end citadel in Defiance) I don't really know what the direct connection was. The lost city probably had a backstory with the Elder God, allowing him purchase on that part of the world so he could pull it down into the depths of the world."
- ―Daniel Cabuco
As such, the soul altar may have been part of the Lost City before its destruction at the hands of the Elder God.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Prima Games / Mel Odom. Prima's Official Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver Guide. (1999)
- Warp's answers from Amy at the Square Enix Forums (by blincoln)
- The Connection between the Lost City and the Abyss at DCabDesign (by Jake Pawloski), post #2 (by Daniel Cabuco)